Saturday, January 19, 2008

I got Spammed!

I never appreciated the need for activating comment moderation on my site until today. For the first time since I started my blog in July, 2007, I got spammed today. See below the comment.

*************************************************************************************
Blogger barb michelen said...

Hi again, see tthis is the site i told you i signed up to. It has some nice information about how to make money using OPP, i think you might find it interesting. here it is. bye!

January 19, 2008 4:06 PM

*************************************************************************************
I suspected that this comment was a spam because the commentator sounded as if I have had previous contact. So, I went ahead to check out the supposed commentator's blog and there was none. After that I checked the "here it is" link and it was one of those "Get Rich Quick" sites. I was asked to pay $99 as if I have stolen money that I don't know how to spend. I didn't stop there, I googled the name and I was not surprised to see that the same "robot" has been dropping spam comments on other blogs. That was it!

I quickly fired up my blog's admin page and activated comment moderation and word verification.
I never wanted to because I felt that people should not be restricted from dropping their candid opinions (without me tinkering it) on my post as fast (without being forced to type jargons dictated my a computer) as they can! But then, I don't want to share my blog with "robots".

So, I am apologizing in advance to my regular visitors for the inconvenience the word verification may cause you! Thanks for keeping this blog alive. Without your patronage, I won't be inspired to put down my ramblings. Enjoy!

N.B - Please, drop your comment about this issue. I might learn something new! Thanks.


1 comments:

Nuggets of Gold said...

Happy new year to you.

I had exactly the same experience as you. The message left on mine was actually unprintable and i Immediately had to enable comment moderation.